Nationwide Children's Hospital
Part-Time 20hr/week, working various hours, plus weekend and holidays
The Perioperative Technician is responsible for performing a variety of technical and supportive tasks to assist daily clinical operations. This role will also perform routine and delegated duties according to departmental policies.
1. Completes and oversees all troubleshooting and maintenance of selected OR equipment (e.g., Gas Machines). For repairs outside the scope of the OR, coordinates all repairs with the biomedical team and offsite manufacturers.
2. Assists anesthesia with all inventory and equipment needs
3. Maintains surgical inventory in general storage areas and workrooms
4. Assists clinical staff with transporting patients to PACU, which includes setting up tanks/O2 tubing on transportation cart/patient bed
5. Assists in setup and turnover of operating suites (i.e. inventory and equipment)
IV setup, both adult and pediatric
Invasive pressure lines and transducers
Heated humidified Circuit
Other equipment by request
Checks and supplies suction canister and tubing for use by the Anesthesiology provider.
Cleans blood or other contaminants from all equipment
Assists scrub staff with clean up
Assists OR staff with picking up clean or dropping of dirty case carts
Assists with general OR room clean up
6. Performs arterial blood gas analysis upon request of Anesthesiology provider
7. Checks and replaces Baralyme as per Department Guidelines.
8. Communicates regularly with OR / anesthesia staff to determine supply and equipment needs for procedures.
9. Assists Periop's Materials Manager with supply chain needs such as ordering and putting away supplies
10. Takes specimens to appropriate location/picks up blood products
11. Maintains a clean, safe, patient care and workspace environment
12. Obtains patient care equipment and supplies from other departments as needed or requested
13. Assists supervisor in the development of curriculum to support new technologies training and equipment upgrades and procedures.
14. Coordinates equipment upgrades and repairs
15. Trains new Periop Techs on daily tasks such as IV preparation, set up and calibration of equipment (e.g., gas machine), supply/inventory management practices, etc.
16. Serves as subject matter expert on the maintenance and function of all anesthesia equipment and gas machines.
17. Assists clinical staff with lifting and positioning patients as needed18. May be required to work overtime, weekends and on-call as necessary
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. High school graduate
2. Basic understanding of mechanical equipment
3. Self-starter who requires little or no supervision
4. Personally committed to patient safety and NCH Core Values
5. Ability to set priorities and respond appropriately to actual and/or potential life threatening situations
6. Demonstrates promptness and consistency in meeting scheduled work commitments
7. Ability to initiate and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
8. Establishes and maintains good working relationships with other members of the health care team
9. Demonstrates a positive team member attitude when dealing with any hospital departments/employees either on or off duty on at the hospital
10. Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure in a stressful environment, and often without relief
11. Ability to demonstrate knowledge relating to surgical and anesthesia procedures in order to effectively anticipate inventory and equipment needs
12. Ability to communicate well with patients
13. Must be able to move or reposition patients of any weight or size with the assistance of another person(s) and/or equipment14. Intermediate computer knowledge (i.e. outlook and word)
15. Previous health care experience desirable
16. Knowledge of supply chain / materials management terminology desirable
17. Perform basic math calculations
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSAbility to stand, walk, push, pull, kneel, reach overhead and rotate trunk for prolonged periods (8+ hours) and independently lifting 25 lbsAbility to see, hear, stand, walk, speak English, read English. The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.